Monday, July 23, 2007

Expecting God

To begin the last Oxygen service, I read out a passage from 1 Kings 8. I read verses 6, 10 and 11.

6 "The priests then brought the ark of the LORD's covenant to its place in the inner sanctuary of the temple, the Most Holy Place, and put it beneath the wings of the cherubim.

10 - 11 "When the priests withdrew from the Holy Place, the cloud filled the temple of the LORD. And the priests could not perform their service because of the cloud, for the glory of the LORD filled his temple. "

I was struck by this scripture earlier in the week when I read it. A commentary got me thinking about the fact that what we get from church depends largely on our attitude when we walk through the doors. Do we expect God to meet us there? Do we expect to hear from God?

I was always taught that it's OK to expect God to do things when we ask him to. Provided it's within his will of course. But do we really expect God to answer our prayer? Being honest, sometimes I don't. I guess that's only human.

No comments: