Friday, July 6, 2007

Not all Churches are Created Equal

I appreciate that not all churches are the same. I have had the pleasure of experiencing three different churches over the past few years that are poles apart in theology, structure and presentation.

The first was an Anglican church I attended for about two years. A wonderful little classic church, with a steeple and all that. But inside it was half full (and it was a very small church) and most of that half were 60+ years old. Someone died one week, representing nearly two percent of the congregation. I can't remember any new people while we were there.

The second was a newly formed pentecostal church not affiliated with any denomination. It grew from just over 100 people when we started going to more than 350 a year later. Several months after God called us to our current church (Baptist), they were on the TV news because they were attracting more than 50 new members a month.

The third is kind of in between in terms of structure, theology and presentation. It's the Baptist Church I currently attend.

What is the difference between them all?

I asked myself this many times as I considered how to shape Oxygen. Each of the three churches has their strengths. I'll look at these over the next few posts.

P.S. Oxygen #3 tonight!

No comments: