Saturday, December 8, 2007

Bad PR for Christianity

I was walking down Lambton Quay just this morning when I came across a guy I've seen before. He wears a bowler hat and is dressed fairly smartly (not the guy in the image). But he mumbles under his breath and as you approach, steps out, arm outstretched to hand you a bit of paper. He continues to preach at you without saying hello or even acknowledging you.

He's preaching repentance from sin and says to passers by, "Look what you have done." I'm not sure of his exact message, but upon my return up Lambton Quay again 20 minutes later, I dreaded walking past him so much that I crossed the road.

I just can't see any point to this kind of envangelism. What kind of person would respond? Will anyone repent just because this old man, whom I wonder if he isn't slightly mentally ill, says.

I find this approach counterproductive for Christianity. He is undoing much of the great work that churches and others have done. We seem to battle ourselves don't we? Christians fight with each other because we can't agree on theology or how to engage people with God. So we all take a different approach, cancelling each other out.
That's why seeing street preachers upsets me. It's like bad PR for Christianity.

But, maybe God does use him? Maybe someone will be in heaven because of a seed planted by the Lambton Quay preacher?

No comments: